Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Rock, Paper, Scissors...Lizard, Spock!?!?

So this summer I was one of twenty-four Orientation Leaders (OL) responsible for welcoming in the Class of 2017 to Virginia Tech.  Orientation itself lasted from July 8th through July 25th, but we had to arrive back in Blacksburg a week early for some additional training.  Even though it was a two day process, the OLs only interacted with the students on the first day, so we had a new group of 15-20 students four days a week for three weeks.  I was Group 20 and after all was said and done, I led about 200 new students overall.  So enough about the boring, boring stuff let's get to the turned up, ratchet part of orientation.
My day started at 5:45am with a shower, 6:30 breakfast, 7:30-11:30 morning duty, 11:30-12:30 Opening Session, 12:30-3:00 lunch/tour, 3-5 naptime, 5-7 dinner, 7-10 Community of Hokies, 10-11 skits! Yes, it's pathetic that I still know the schedule, but it was so much fun.  The only bit I want to talk about actual orientation are the skits.  I was in a group with three other people and had to come up with a 5 minute skit showing what life was like in the residence hall, what a roommate conflict looked like, and what the role of the RA was.  We decided that we would make our skit based off the show Big Bang Theory and I got to play Sheldon.  Here is the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz1hBzIKWtA.  It got to the point where we knew the other teams' skits just as good as our own.
The really fun part of orientation were the weekends.  The staff became really close, but amazingly there was no drama between us.  Every day of every weekend we had something going on and yes, we got crazy!  The word of orientation became "ratchet" and we stayed ratchet at all times of all weekends.  Even though my liver became 48% concrete and sleep schedule was shot, it was a wonderful experience and I would recommend applying for the position.

The link I posted sometimes works and sometimes doesn't so, just in case, here is another one that is of the actual show and not our skit, but contains one of my most difficult lines to memorize.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz1hBzIKWtA

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun!! But I'm really bummed because I can't view either videos :( Is there a title we could search for instead? I'm really interested to see your skit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try a different browser? Idk I'm not very computer savvy. My skit (the first link) can be found by searching in You Tube "2013 Virginia Tech Orientation Skits" and I think it's the very first one. The second link (which isn't my skit but one of the lines I had to memorize from the real show) can be found by searching "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock" in You Tube. Hope this helps ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awesome, dude! The other day I got an e-mail asking for applications to be orientation leaders for next years transfer students, and I'd not really thought about it in any kind of serious manner but now I'm definitely reconsidering. It sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those skits, I didn't know that you were in them... Oh my gosh, you were Sheldon, that was so funny. I was rolling when you played that game. I don't remember much about orientation except probably your skit, which I think is kind of sad. I hope you had fun during those times though!

    ReplyDelete