Thursday, September 26, 2013

Good Boys Gone Bad

As you all know, I love the game of baseball.  My team of choice is the Atlanta Braves and has been for twenty-one years.  Over the years, they have consistently produced quality teams which makes being a fan pretty easy.  Their recipe for success is solid pitching, timely hitting, and southern hospitality.  However, the southern hospitality was in question yesterday (Sept. 25) when the Braves got in a fight with the Milwaukee Brewers.
A few years ago, the Braves Hall of Fame manager, Bobby Cox, retired after many seasons in baseball.  He alone holds the all time record for ejections from a game so I'm used to some heated, passionate baseball.  However, the new manager is a little more tame so seeing a fight like this brings back the good old days.
So here's what happened.  In the top of the very first inning, Brewer batter, Carlos Gomez, crushes a homerun of Braves pitcher Paul Maholm.  Okay, whatever, that sucks, but Gomez starts taunting Maholm as he is rounding the bases.  Braves first baseman, Freddie Freeman, calls out Gomez for being such a punk, but Gomez continues to taunt Maholm.  Eventually, Gomez is rounding third and heading home, but Braves catcher, Brian McCann, will not let Gomez pass to touch home plate.  Immediately the benches clear and the teams begin shoving each other around.  The video is posted below.
Of course this viewpoint is bias and I may not even know the whole story.  I knew there was a little bad blood between Gomez and Maholm, but I didn't think to this level.  Anyway, I hate when baseball gets to pushing and shoving and not just baseball, any sport.  I think the best way to get back at someone is to be the better person and help lead your team to victory.  What Gomez did was wrong by showing off, sure he absolutely crushed the ball, but run the bases and keep your mouth shut like a gentleman.  I also think, and here's where I'm really bias, Brian McCann did the right thing by standing up for his teammates and showing Gomez he can't just say whatever he pleases.
Overall, whether it be baseball, lacrosse, or underwater basket weaving, show some respect.  Play the game the right way and you'll do fine.  There is no need to make a fool of yourself, show total unprofessionalism, and worsening your reputation as a player.  Expect "boos" next time you visit Atlanta, Gomez, but at the same time, don't expect the Braves to retaliate, they are better than that.

http://wapc.mlb.com/atl/play/?content_id=30939261&topic_id=8878972&c_id=atl

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, first pitch of the game are you kidding?! I'm not a huge baseball fan but I guess that made it a little more interesting The thing that makes me angry when professional athletes is the fact that there is absolutely NO reason to. They are being paid so much money there is no reason to have such a huge ego. Honestly as I was watching I thought it was high school, which is pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, he really did kill that ball. What he should have realized though is that his hit sent enough of a message right off the bat (no pun intended). He didn't have to keep jawing at the pitcher after that powerful of a statement at all. Most of the time I think that fighting in sports is immature and selfish but it does add a little spice to the games that piques my interests. On the other side of that argument though I am a big supporter of fighting in hockey since it is part of the sport's culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Maddie and Andrew in the fact that all of this was not necessary. These players get paid big bucks to play baseball, not mouth each other off and get into fights. I know this can be a rare occurrence, but still, this was not even close to being necessary. People are people and the game goes on though, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete